What is Pharmatex® (benzalkonium chloride) used for?
Pharmatex® is commonly used for local contraception for any woman of reproductive age, not relevant to the contraindications, and in cases of:
- The use of oral contraceptives or intrauterine device
- The period after birth and during breastfeeding
- After abortion
- Episodic contraception
- Constant use of oral contraceptives in the case of missing or being late in taking the pill
How should I take Pharmatex® (benzalkonium chloride)?
Lying on the back, a woman should insert the suppository deep into the vagina 5 minutes prior to sexual intercourse.
Lying on the back, the tablet is introduced deep into the vagina 10 minutes before sexual intercourse.
The cream should be inserted into the vagina using an applicator-dispenser, preferably in a lying position.
The capsules start acting in 10 min after introduction.
How do I store Pharmatex® (benzalkonium chloride)?
Pharmatex® is best stored at room temperature away from direct light and moisture. To prevent drug damage, you should not store Pharmatex® in the bathroom or the freezer. There may be different brands of Pharmatex® that may have different storage needs. It is important to always check the product package for instructions on storage, or ask your pharmacist. For safety, you should keep all medicines away from children and pets.
You should not flush Pharmatex® down the toilet or pour them into a drain unless instructed to do so. It is important to properly discard this product when it is expired or no longer needed. Consult your pharmacist for more details about how to safely discard your product.
Precautions & warnings
What should I know before using Pharmatex® (benzalkonium chloride)?
For effective contraception, you should notice the rules of use:
- Apply systematically before each sexual act.
- Enter the selected dosage form as deeply penetrated into the vagina, preferably in the supine position.
- Wait for complete dissolution of capsules or tablets in the vagina for at least 10 minutes, suppository – at least 5 m, to the active substance has been completely released.
- Do not use soap for the toilet of genitals 2 hours before sexual intercourse and during 2 hours after intercourse.
- Immediately after intercourse, apply outdoor toilet genitals by cleaning water or by using a foaming agent Pharmatex®, not containing soap, which includes benzalkonium chloride. Before making a vaginal irrigation, should wait for 2 hours after intercourse.
- With farmateks, inserted into the vagina, you cannot take a bath, swim in the sea, swimming pools and ponds because of the danger of subsequent reduction of the contraceptive effect.
- Because Pharmatex® contains benzalkonium chloride, interrupt its use in case of any disease or aggravation of the vagina.
- If there is a need to treat diseases of the vagina and / or destination of any other drug vaginally, you must wait until the end of treatment before, than to renew (start) using contraception Farmateksa.
Also, this drug is contraincated in case of:
- Patients with mental disorders
- Ulceration and irritation of the vagina and uterus
- Hypersensitivity to the drug
Is it safe during pregnancy or breastfeeding?
There isn’t enough information about the safety of using this medication during pregnancy and breast-feeding. Please always consult with your doctor to weigh the potential benefits and risks before taking this medication.
What side effects can occur from Pharmatex® (benzalkonium chloride)?
Some side effects may occur when using this drug, such as burning, itch, contact dermatitis.
Not everyone experiences these side effects. There may be some side effects not listed above. If you have any concerns about a side-effect, please consult your doctor or pharmacist.
What drugs may interact with Pharmatex® (benzalkonium chloride)?
Pharmatex® may interact with other drugs that you are currently taking, which can change how your drug works or increase your risk for serious side effects. To avoid any potential drug interactions, you should keep a list of all the drugs you are using (including prescription drugs, nonprescription drugs, and herbal products) and share it with your doctor and pharmacist. For your safety, do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any drugs without your doctor’s approval.
Does food or alcohol interact with Pharmatex® (benzalkonium chloride)?
Pharmatex® may interact with food or alcohol by altering the way the drug works or increase the risk for serious side effects. Please discuss with your doctor or pharmacist any potential food or alcohol interactions before using this drug.
What health conditions may interact with Pharmatex® (benzalkonium chloride)?
Pharmatex® may interact with your health condition. This interaction may worsen your health condition or alter the way the drug works. It is important to always let your doctor and pharmacist know all the health conditions you currently have.
The information provided is not a substitute for any medical advice. You should ALWAYS consult with your doctor or pharmacist before using Pharmatex® (benzalkonium chloride).
What is the dose of Pharmatex® (benzalkonium chloride) for an adult?
Lying on his back, capsule injected deep into the vagina at the latest, than 10 minutes before sexual intercourse. The duration of drug action is 4 hours. Be sure to enter a new capsule before each repeated intercourse. One the capsule is designed for a single sexual act.
Lying on his back, tablet is introduced deep into the vagina at the latest, than 10 minutes before sexual intercourse. The duration of drug action is 3 hours. Be sure to introduce a new tablet before each repeated intercourse. One a tablet designed for a sexual act.
Lying on his back, suppository injected deep into the vagina at the latest, than 5 minutes before sexual intercourse. The duration of drug action is 4 hours. Be sure to enter a new suppository before each repeated intercourse. One suppository is a one sexual act.
Before administration vaginal cream, the dispensing device should be installed at the end of the tube. Fill it completely (to the annular mark or the stop piston). For no air bubbles, disconnect the device from the metering tube. Before intercourse, cream should be entered deeply into the vagina by using a metering device, slowly pushing the plunger. Remove the metering device. Introduction easier to produce lying. The protective effect begins immediately and continues for at least 10 hours. Be sure to enter a new batch of cream for each repeated intercourse. 1 serving of cream intended for one sex act.
The multiplicity of use of the drug is limited to individual tolerability of the active substance and the frequency of sexual acts.
What is the dose of Pharmatex® (benzalkonium chloride) for a child?
The dosage has not been established in pediatric patients. It may be unsafe for your child. It is always important to fully understand the safety of the drug before using. Please consult with your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
How is Pharmatex® (benzalkonium chloride) available?
Pharmatex® is available in the following dosage forms and strengths:
- Capsules; Vaginal; Benzalkonium Chloride 18.9 mg
- Cream; Vaginal; Benzalkonium Chloride 1.2%
- Cream; Vaginal; Benzalkonium Chloride 54 mg / unidose
- Tablets; Oral; Benzalkonium Chloride 20 mg
What should I do in case of an emergency or overdose?
In case of an emergency or an overdose, call your local emergency services or go to your nearest emergency room.
What should I do if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose of Pharmatex®, take it as soon as possible. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and take your regular dose as scheduled. Do not take a double dose.
Hello Health Group does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.
Pharmatex® (benzalkonium chloride). http://www.contraceptionlist.com/suppositories/Pharmatex.html. Accessed November 19, 2016
Pharmatex® (benzalkonium chloride). http://omedicine.info/en/farmateks.html Accessed November 19, 2016.
Review Date: February 18, 2017 | Last Modified: February 18, 2017