What is Opcon-A® used for?
Opcon-A® is commonly used for temporarily relieving eye redness, puffiness, itching, and watering that commonly occur with allergies.
Opcon-A may be prescribed for other uses; ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
How should I take Opcon-A®?
Follow all directions on your prescription label.
Do not take this medicine in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended.
To use eye drops:
- Do no use if imprinted tamper band is broken or missing.
- First, wash your hands, then tilt your head back.
- Using your index finger, pull the lower eyelid away from the eye to form a pouch.
- Drop the medicine into the pouch and gently close your eyes.
- Immediately use your finger to apply pressure to the inside corner of the eye for 1 to 2 minutes. Do not blink. Remove excess medicine around your eye with a clean, dry tissue, being careful not to touch your eye. Wash your hands to remove any medicine that may be on them.
- If you are also using another kind of eye medications, wait at least 5 minutes before applying other medications. Use eye drops before eye ointments to allow the eye drops to enter the eye.
- To prevent germs from contaminating your medicine, do not touch the applicator tip to any surface, including the eye. Keep the container tightly closed.
- Do not wear contact lenses while you are using eye drops. Take care of your contact lenses as directed by the manufacturer. Check with your doctor before you use them.
- For external use only.
- Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use eye drops.
How do I store Opcon-A®?
Opcon-A® is best stored at room temperature away from direct light and moisture. To prevent drug damage, you should not store Opcon-A® in the bathroom or the freezer. There may be different brands of Opcon-A® that may have different storage needs. It is important to always check the product package for instructions on storage, or ask your pharmacist. For safety, you should keep all medicines away from children and pets.
You should not flush Opcon-A® down the toilet or pour them into a drain unless instructed to do so. It is important to properly discard this product when it is expired or no longer needed. Consult your pharmacist for more details about how to safely discard your product.
Precautions & warnings
What should I know before using Opcon-A®?
Before using this drug, tell your doctor if:
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding. This is because, while you are expecting or feeding a baby, you should only take medicines on the recommendation of a doctor.
- You are taking any other medicines. This includes any medicines you are taking which are available to buy without a prescription, such as herbal and complementary medicines.
- You have allergy with any of active or inactive ingredients of Opcon-A® or other medications.
- You have any other illnesses, disorders, or medical conditions.
When using this product
- Overuse may cause more eye redness
- Pupils may become enlarged temporarily
- Do not touch tip of container to any surface to avoid contamination
- You may feel a brief tingling after putting drops in eyes
- Replace cap after use
- Remove contact lenses before using
Is it safe during pregnancy or breastfeeding?
There isn’t enough information about the safety of using Opcon-A® during pregnancy and breastfeeding. Please always consult with your doctor to weigh the potential benefits and risks before taking Opcon-A®.
What side effects can occur from Opcon-A®?
Stop use and ask a doctor if you experience:
- Eye pain
- Changes in vision
- Redness or irritation of the eye that worsens or lasts more than 72 hours
Not everyone experiences these side effects. There may be some side effects not listed above. If you have any concerns about a side-effect, please consult your doctor or pharmacist.
What drugs may interact with Opcon-A®?
Opcon-A® may interact with other drugs that you are currently taking, which can change how your drug works or increase your risk for serious side effects. To avoid any potential drug interactions, you should keep a list of all the drugs you are using (including prescription drugs, nonprescription drugs, and herbal products) and share it with your doctor and pharmacist. For your safety, do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any drugs without your doctor’s approval.
Does food or alcohol interact with Opcon-A®?
Opcon-A® may interact with food or alcohol by altering the way the drug works or increase the risk for serious side effects. Please discuss with your doctor or pharmacist any potential food or alcohol interactions before using this drug.
What health conditions may interact with Opcon-A®?
Opcon-A® may interact with your health condition. This interaction may worsen your health condition or alter the way the drug works. It is important to always let your doctor and pharmacist know all the health conditions you currently have.
Health conditions that may interact with this drug are:
- Heart disease
- High blood pressure
- Trouble urinating due to an enlarged prostate gland
- Narrow angle glaucoma
The information provided is not a substitute for any medical advice. You should ALWAYS consult with your doctor or pharmacist before using Opcon-A®.
What is the dose of Opcon-A® for an adult?
Adults and children 6 years of age and older: instill 1 or 2 drops in the affected eye(s) up to 4 times daily.
What is the dose of Opcon-A® for a child?
The dosage has not been established in pediatric patients under 6 years. It may be unsafe for your child. It is always important to fully understand the safety of the drug before using. Please consult with your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
How is Opcon-A® available?
Opcon-A® is available in the following dosage forms and strengths:
- Eye drops
What should I do in case of an emergency or overdose?
In case of an emergency or an overdose, call your local emergency services or go to your nearest emergency room.
What should I do if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose of Opcon-A®, take it as soon as possible. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and take your regular dose as scheduled. Do not take a double dose.
Hello Health Group does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.
Opcon-A®. https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/opcon-a-eye-allergy-relief-drops/ID=prod827930-product?reactjs=true. Accessed November 13, 2017
Opcon-A®. http://www.bausch.com/our-products/allergy-redness-relief/opcon-a-itching-and-redness-reliever-eye-drops. Accessed November 13, 2017
Review Date: November 13, 2017 | Last Modified: November 13, 2017