What is Nexium® 24Hr used for?
Nexium® 24Hr is commonly used for treating frequent heartburn (occurs 2 or more days a week). It is not intended for immediate relief of heartburn; this drug may take 1 to 4 days for full effect.
How should I take Nexium® 24Hr?
14-Day course of treatment
- Swallow 1 capsule with a glass of water before eating in the morning.
- Take every day for 14 days.
- Do not take more than 1 capsule a day.
- Swallow whole. Do not crush or chew capsules.
- Do not use for more than 14 days unless directed by your doctor.
Repeated 14-Day Courses (if needed)
- You may repeat a 14-day course every 4 months.
- Do not take for more than 14 days or more often than every 4 months unless directed by a doctor.
- Children under 18 years of age: ask a doctor before.
How do I store Nexium® 24Hr?
Nexium® 24Hr is best stored at room temperature away from direct light and moisture. To prevent drug damage, you should not store Nexium® 24Hr in the bathroom or the freezer. There may be different brands of Nexium® 24Hr that may have different storage needs. It is important to always check the product package for instructions on storage, or ask your pharmacist. For safety, you should keep all medicines away from children and pets.
You should not flush Nexium® 24Hr down the toilet or pour them into a drain unless instructed to do so. It is important to properly discard this product when it is expired or no longer needed. Consult your pharmacist for more details about how to safely discard your product.
Precautions & warnings
What should I know before using Nexium® 24Hr?
Before using this drug, tell your doctor if:
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding. This is because, while you are expecting or feeding a baby, you should only take medicines on the recommendation of a doctor.
- You are taking any other medicines. This includes any medicines you are taking which are available to buy without a prescription, such as herbal and complementary medicines.
- You have allergy with any of active or inactive ingredients of Nexium® 24Hr or other medications.
- You have any other illnesses, disorders, or medical conditions.
Is it safe during pregnancy or breastfeeding?
There isn’t enough information about the safety of using Nexium® 24Hr during pregnancy and breastfeeding. Please always consult with your doctor to weigh the potential benefits and risks before taking Nexium® 24Hr.
What side effects can occur from Nexium® 24Hr?
Nexium 24Hr may cause following side effects, such as:
- Bad, unusual, or unpleasant (after) taste
- Change in taste
- Sleepiness or unusual drowsiness
- Back pain
Stop use this medication and seek medical attention immediately if:
- Your heartburn continues or worsens.
- You need to take this product for more than 14 days.
- You need to take more than 1 course of treatment every 4 months.
- You get diarrhea.
Not everyone experiences these side effects. There may be some side effects not listed above. If you have any concerns about a side-effect, please consult your doctor or pharmacist.
What drugs may interact with Nexium® 24Hr?
Nexium® 24Hr may interact with other drugs that you are currently taking, which can change how your drug works or increase your risk for serious side effects. To avoid any potential drug interactions, you should keep a list of all the drugs you are using (including prescription drugs, nonprescription drugs, and herbal products) and share it with your doctor and pharmacist. For your safety, do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any drugs without your doctor’s approval.
Products that may interact with this drug are:
- Warfarin, clopidogrel or cilostazol (blood-thinning medicines)
- Prescription antifungal or anti-yeast medicines
- Digoxin (heart medicine)
- Diazepam (anxiety medicine)
- Tacrolimus or mycophenolate mofetil (immune system medicines)
- Prescription antiretrovirals (medicines for HIV infection)
- Methotrexate (arthritis medicine)
Does food or alcohol interact with Nexium® 24Hr?
Nexium® 24Hr may interact with food or alcohol by altering the way the drug works or increase the risk for serious side effects. Please discuss with your doctor or pharmacist any potential food or alcohol interactions before using this drug.
What health conditions may interact with Nexium® 24Hr?
Nexium® 24Hr may interact with your health condition. This interaction may worsen your health condition or alter the way the drug works. It is important to always let your doctor and pharmacist know all the health conditions you currently have.
Health conditions that may interact with this drug are:
- Had heartburn over 3 months. This may be a sign of a more serious condition.
- Frequent wheezing, particularly with heartburn
- Unexplained weight loss
- Nausea or vomiting
- Stomach pain
- Severe liver disease
- Osteoporosis or low bone mineral density (osteopenia)
- Low levels of magnesium in your blood
The information provided is not a substitute for any medical advice. You should ALWAYS consult with your doctor or pharmacist before using Nexium® 24Hr.
What is the dose of Nexium® 24Hr for an adult?
Adults 18 years of age and older:
This product is to be used once a day (every 24 hours), every day for 14 days. May take 1 to 4 days for full effect.
What is the dose of Nexium® 24Hr for a child?
The dosage has not been established in pediatric patients. It may be unsafe for your child. It is always important to fully understand the safety of the drug before using. Please consult with your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
How is Nexium® 24Hr available?
Nexium® 24Hr is available in the following dosage forms and strengths:
- Tablet 20mg
What should I do in case of an emergency or overdose?
In case of an emergency or an overdose, call your local emergency services or go to your nearest emergency room.
What should I do if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose of Nexium® 24Hr, take it as soon as possible. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and take your regular dose as scheduled. Do not take a double dose.
Hello Health Group does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.
Nexium® 24Hr. https://www.nexium24hr.com/us/tablets. Accessed October 13, 2017
Nexium® 24Hr. http://reference.medscape.com/drug/nexium-nexium-24hr-esomeprazole-341998. Accessed October 13, 2017
Review Date: October 16, 2017 | Last Modified: October 16, 2017