What is Iyafin® used for?
Iyafin® is commonly used to
The information provided is not a substitute for any medical advice. You should ALWAYS consult with your doctor or pharmacist before using Iyafin®.
What is the dose of Iyafin® for an adult?
Consult your doctor for information about the dose of Iyafin®.
Recommended doses in some cases are 4 teaspoons every 6 hours. Do not exceed 4 times per day.
What is the dose of Iyafin® for a child?
Consult your doctor for information about the dose of Iyafin®. Recommended doses in some cases are listed below:
- Children less than 2 years old: not recommended to use.
- Children from 2- 6 years old: 1 teaspoon every 6 hours. Do not exceed 4 times per day.
- Children from 6-12 years old: 2 teaspoons every 6 hours. Do not exceed 4 times per day.
- Children from 12 years old: 4 teaspoons every 6 hours. Do not exceed 4 times per day.
How should I take Iyafin®?
For orally taken form, you should:
- Take Iyafin® by mouth as directed by your doctor concerning: dose, schedule.
- Read the label carefully before using Iyafin®.
- Consult your doctor for any information on the label that you do not clearly understand.
What should I do in case of an emergency or overdose?
In case of an emergency or an overdose, call your local emergency services or go to your nearest emergency room.
What should I do if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose of Iyafin®, take it as soon as possible. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and take your regular dose as scheduled. Do not take a double dose.
What side effects can occur from Iyafin®?
As taking others medicines, taking Iyafin® can cause some side effects. Most of them are rarely occurring and do not need any supplementary treatment. However, it is always important for you to consult your doctor if you have any problem after taking this medicine.
Some of side effects are listed below:
- Shortness of breath
- Stomach pain
- Heart rate irregular
- Itchy rash
- Hypersensitivity reaction
- Gastrointestinal discomfort
- Dry mouth
- Dry throat
- Dry skin
- Inability to empty the urinary bladder
- Loss of appetite
- Nasal congestion
- Chest congestion
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
What should I know before using Iyafin®?
Before using Iyafin®, tell your doctor if you have:
- Allergic reaction to excipients using for dosage form containing Iyafin®
- Allergic reaction to any other medicines, foods, dyes, preservatives, or animals
- Used any other health conditions, drugs that have a risk of interaction with Iyafin®
Is it safe in specific conditions (e.g. pregnancy, breastfeeding, or surgery)?
There are no adequate studies in women for determining risk when using Iyafin® during pregnancy or while breastfeeding. Please always consult with your doctor to weigh the potential benefits and risks before taking Iyafin®.
What drugs may interact with Iyafin®?
Iyafin® may interact with other drugs that you are currently taking, which can change how your drug works or increase your risk for serious side effects. To avoid any potential drug interactions, you should keep a list of all the drugs you are using (including prescription drugs, nonprescription drugs, and herbal products) and share it with your doctor and pharmacist. For your safety, do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any drugs without your doctor’s approval.
Products may interact with Iyafin®, including:
- AO inhibitors (e.g., furazolidone, isocarboxazid, linezolid, moclobemide, phenelzine, procarbazine, rasagiline, selegiline, tranylcypromine)
- Antispasmodics (e.g., atropine, belladonna alkaloids)
- Beta blockers (e.g., metoprolol, atenolol)
- Drugs for Parkinson’s disease (e.g., anticholinergics such as benztropine, trihexyphenidyl)
- Certain inhaled anesthetics (e.g., halothane)
- Tricyclic antidepressants (e.g., amitriptyline, desipramine)
- Certain antihistamines (e.g., diphenhydramine)
- Anti-seizure drugs (e.g., carbamazepine)
- Medicine for sleep or anxiety (e.g., alprazolam, diazepam, zolpidem)
- Muscle relaxants
- Narcotic pain relievers (e.g., codeine)
- Psychiatric medicines (e.g., chlorpromazine, risperidone, amitriptyline, trazodone)
Does food or alcohol interact with Iyafin®?
Iyafin® may interact with food or alcohol by altering the way the drug works or increase the risk for serious side effects. Please discuss with your doctor or pharmacist any potential food or alcohol interactions before using this drug.
How do I store Iyafin®?
Iyafin® is best stored at room temperature away from direct light and moisture. To prevent drug damage, you should not store Iyafin® in the bathroom or the freezer. There may be different brands of Iyafin® that may have different storage needs. It is important to always check the product package for instructions on storage, or ask your pharmacist. For safety, you should keep all medicines away from children and pets.
You should not flush Iyafin® down the toilet or pour them into a drain unless instructed to do so. It is important to properly discard this product when it is expired or no longer needed. Consult your pharmacist for more details about how to safely discard your product.
How is Iyafin® available?
Iyafin® is available in the following dosage forms and strengths:
- Per tab: Dextromethorphan HBr 15 mg, chlorpheniramine maleate 2 mg, glyceryl guaiacolate 100 mg
- Per 5 ml syrup: Dextromethorphan HBr 10 mg, pseudoephedrine HCl 30 mg, chlorpheniramine maleate 2 mg, glyceryl guaiacolate 50 mg.
Hello Health Group does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.
Review Date: December 15, 2016 | Last Modified: September 12, 2019
Iyafin®. http://www.mims.com/thailand/drug/info/Iyafin. Accessed October 21, 2016.
Iyafin®. http://www.medicatione.com/?c=drug&s=Iyafin %20tablets&ingredient=chlorpheniramine%20maleate/dextromethorphan%20hydrobromide/guaifenesin. Accessed October 21, 2016.
Iyafin®. http://www.epharmapedia.com/medicine/profile/255502/Iyafin .html?lang=en&tab=druginfo. Accessed October 21, 2016.