What is Genteal® (ocular lubricant) used for?
Ocular lubricant is a solution specially formulated to moisten the eyes.
Genteal® is used to relieve burning, irritation, and discomfort caused by dry eyes. Genteal® may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
How should I take Genteal® (ocular lubricant)?
Use exactly as directed on the label, or as prescribed by your doctor. Do not use in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended.
Do not use this medicine while wearing contact lenses. Ocular lubricant may contain a preservative that can discolor soft contact lenses. Wait at least 15 minutes after using this medicine before putting in your contact lenses.
Wash your hands before using the eye drops.
To apply the eye drops:
- Tilt your head back slightly and pull down your lower eyelid to create a small pocket. Hold the dropper above the eye with the tip down. Look up and away from the dropper and squeeze out a drop.
- Close your eyes for 2 or 3 minutes with your head tipped down, without blinking or squinting. Gently press your finger to the inside corner of the eye for about 1 minute, to keep the liquid from draining into your tear duct.
- Use only the number of drops your doctor has prescribed. If you use more than one drop, wait about 5 minutes between drops.
- Wait at least 10 minutes before using any other eye drops your doctor has prescribed.
Do not use the eye drops if the liquid has changed colors or has particles in it. Call your pharmacist for new medicine.
To apply the ointment:
- Tilt your head back slightly and pull down your lower eyelid to create a small pocket. Hold the ointment tube with the tip pointing toward this pocket. Look up and away from the tip.
- Squeeze out a ribbon of ointment into the lower eyelid pocket without touching the tip of the tube to your eye. Blink your eye gently and then keep it closed for 1 or 2 minutes.
- Use a tissue to wipe excess ointment from your eyelashes.
- After opening your eyes, you may have blurred vision for a short time. Avoid driving or doing anything that requires you to be able to see clearly.
Do not touch the tip of the eye dropper or ointment tube. Do not place the tip directly on your eye. A contaminated dropper or tube tip can infect your eye, which could lead to serious vision problems.
Call your doctor if your symptoms do not improve, or if they get worse while using ocular lubricant.
How do I store Genteal® (ocular lubricant)?
Genteal® is best stored at room temperature away from direct light and moisture. To prevent drug damage, you should not store Genteal® in the bathroom or the freezer. There may be different brands of Genteal® that may have different storage needs. It is important to always check the product package for instructions on storage, or ask your pharmacist. For safety, you should keep all medicines away from children and pets.
You should not flush Genteal® down the toilet or pour them into a drain unless instructed to do so. It is important to properly discard this product when it is expired or no longer needed. Consult your pharmacist for more details about how to safely discard your product.
Precautions & warnings
What should I know before using Genteal® (ocular lubricant)?
Before using this drug, tell your doctor if:
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding. This is because, while you are expecting or feeding a baby, you should only take medicines on the recommendation of a doctor.
- You are taking any other medicines. This includes any medicines you are taking which are available to buy without a prescription, such as herbal and complementary medicines.
- You have allergy with any of active or inactive ingredients of Genteal® or other medications.
- You have any other illnesses, disorders, or medical conditions.
You should not use an ocular lubricant to treat or prevent an eye infection.
Is it safe during pregnancy or breastfeeding?
There isn’t enough information about the safety of using Genteal® during pregnancy and breastfeeding. Please always consult with your doctor to weigh the potential benefits and risks before taking this Genteal®.
What side effects can occur from Genteal® (ocular lubricant)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using ocular lubricant and call your doctor if you have:
- Severe burning, stinging, or eye irritation after using the medicine
- Eye pain
- Vision changes
Common side effects may include:
- Mild eye burning or irritation
- Itching or redness of your eyes
- Watery eyes
- Blurred vision
- Unpleasant taste in your mouth
Not everyone experiences these side effects. There may be some side effects not listed above. If you have any concerns about a side-effect, please consult your doctor or pharmacist.
What drugs may interact with Genteal® (ocular lubricant)?
Genteal® may interact with other drugs that you are currently taking, which can change how your drug works or increase your risk for serious side effects. To avoid any potential drug interactions, you should keep a list of all the drugs you are using (including prescription drugs, nonprescription drugs, and herbal products) and share it with your doctor and pharmacist. For your safety, do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any drugs without your doctor’s approval.
Does food or alcohol interact with Genteal® (ocular lubricant)?
Genteal® may interact with food or alcohol by altering the way the drug works or increase the risk for serious side effects. Please discuss with your doctor or pharmacist any potential food or alcohol interactions before using this drug.
What health conditions may interact with Genteal® (ocular lubricant)?
Genteal® may interact with your health condition. This interaction may worsen your health condition or alter the way the drug works. It is important to always let your doctor and pharmacist know all the health conditions you currently have.
The information provided is not a substitute for any medical advice. You should ALWAYS consult with your doctor or pharmacist before using Genteal® (ocular lubricant).
What is the dose of Genteal® (ocular lubricant) for an adult?
Adult & elderly: Instill 1-2 drops in the affected eye(s) as needed & blink several times.
What is the dose of Genteal® (ocular lubricant) for a child?
The dosage has not been established in pediatric patients. It may be unsafe for your child. It is always important to fully understand the safety of the drug before using. Please consult with your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
How is Genteal® (ocular lubricant) available?
Genteal® is available in the following dosage forms and strengths:
- Eye drops
What should I do in case of an emergency or overdose?
In case of an emergency or an overdose, call your local emergency services or go to your nearest emergency room.
What should I do if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose of Genteal®, take it as soon as possible. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and take your regular dose as scheduled. Do not take a double dose.
Hello Health Group does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.
Genteal®. https://www.drugs.com/mtm/genteal.html. Accessed October 20, 2017
Genteal®. http://www.mims.com/malaysia/drug/info/genteal%20eye%20drops. Accessed October 20, 2017
Review Date: October 22, 2017 | Last Modified: October 22, 2017