What is Feldene® (piroxicam) used for?
Feldene® is commonly used to reduce pain, swelling, and joint stiffness from arthritis.
How should I take Feldene® (piroxicam)?
For orally taken form, you should:
- Take Feldene® by mouth as directed by your doctor concerning: dose, schedule.
- Read the label carefully before using Feldene®.
- Consult your doctor for any information on the label that you do not clearly understand.
How do I store Feldene® (piroxicam)?
Feldene® is best stored at room temperature away from direct light and moisture. To prevent drug damage, you should not store Feldene® in the bathroom or the freezer. There may be different brands of Feldene® that may have different storage needs. It is important to always check the product package for instructions on storage, or ask your pharmacist. For safety, you should keep all medicines away from children and pets.
You should not flush Feldene® down the toilet or pour them into a drain unless instructed to do so. It is important to properly discard this product when it is expired or no longer needed. Consult your pharmacist for more details about how to safely discard your product.
Precautions & warnings
What should I know before using Feldene® (piroxicam)?
Before using Feldene®, tell your doctor if you have:
- Allergic reaction to excipients using for dosage form containing Feldene®.
- Allergic reaction to any other medicines, foods, dyes, preservatives, or animals.
- Used any other health conditions, drugs that have a risk of interaction with Feldene®.
Is it safe during pregnancy or breastfeeding?
There are no adequate studies in women for determining risk when using Feldene® during pregnancy or while breastfeeding. Please always consult with your doctor to weigh the potential benefits and risks before taking Feldene®. Feldene® is pregnancy risk category C, according to the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
FDA pregnancy risk category reference below:
- A=No risk
- B=No risk in some studies
- C=There may be some risk
- D=Positive evidence of risk
What side effects can occur from Feldene® (piroxicam)?
As taking others medicines, taking Feldene® can cause some side effects. Most of them are rarely occurring and do not need any supplementary treatment. However, it is always important for you to consult your doctor if you have any problem after taking this medicine.
Some of side effects are listed below:
- Upset stomach, mild heartburn or stomach pain
- Bloating or gas
- Dizziness, headache or nervousness
- Skin itching or rash
- Blurred vision
- Ringing in your ears
- Chest pain
- Shortness of breath
- Slurred speech
- Problems with vision or balance
- Black, bloody, or tarry stools
- Coughing up blood or vomit that looks like coffee grounds
- Swelling or rapid weight gain
- Urinating less than usual or not at all
- Low fever
- Loss of appetite
- Dark urine
- Clay-colored stools
- Jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes)
- Sore throat
- A severe blistering, peeling and red skin rash
- Bruising, severe tingling, numbness, pain or muscle weakness
- Fever, neck stiffness, chills
- Increased sensitivity to light
- Purple spots on the skin
- Seizures (convulsions)
Not everyone experiences these side effects. There may be some side effects not listed above. If you have any concerns about a side-effect, please consult your doctor or pharmacist.
What drugs may interact with Feldene® (piroxicam)?
Feldene® may interact with other drugs that you are currently taking, which can change how your drug works or increase your risk for serious side effects. To avoid any potential drug interactions, you should keep a list of all the drugs you are using (including prescription drugs, nonprescription drugs, and herbal products) and share it with your doctor and pharmacist. For your safety, do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any drugs without your doctor’s approval.
Products may interact with this drug including:
Does food or alcohol interact with Feldene® (piroxicam)?
Feldene® may interact with food or alcohol by altering the way the drug works or increase the risk for serious side effects. Please discuss with your doctor or pharmacist any potential food or alcohol interactions before using this drug.
What health conditions may interact with Feldene® (piroxicam)?
Feldene® may interact with your health condition. This interaction may worsen your health condition or alter the way the drug works. It is important to always let your doctor and pharmacist know all the health conditions you currently have, such as:
- Bleeding problems
- Blood clots
- Edema (fluid retention or body swelling)
- Heart attack
- Heart disease (e.g., congestive heart failure)
- Hypertension (high blood pressure)
- Kidney disease
- Stomach ulcers or bleeding
- Aspirin-sensitive asthma
- Aspirin sensitivity
- Heart surgery (e.g., coronary artery bypass graft [CABG] surgery)
- Liver disease
The information provided is not a substitute for any medical advice. You should ALWAYS consult with your doctor or pharmacist before using Feldene® (piroxicam).
What is the dose of Feldene® (piroxicam) for an adult?
Consult your doctor for information about the dose of Feldene®.
Recommended doses in some cases are listed below:
- Osteoarthritis: 20 mg orally once a day or 10 mg orally twice a day. The recommended maximum daily dose is 20 mg.
- Pain: 20 mg orally once a day or 10 mg orally twice a day. The recommended maximum daily dose is 20 mg.
- Rheumatoid arthritis: 20 mg orally once a day or 10 mg orally twice a day. The recommended maximum daily dose is 20 mg.
What is the dose of Feldene® (piroxicam) for a child?
The dosage has not been established in pediatric patients. It may be unsafe for your child. It is always important to fully understand the safety of the drug before using. Please consult with your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
How is Feldene® (piroxicam) available?
Feldene® is available in the following dosage forms and strengths:
- Capsules: 10 mg, 20 mg
What should I do in case of an emergency or overdose?
In case of an emergency or an overdose, call your local emergency services or go to your nearest emergency room.
Symptoms of overdose may include:
- Lack of energy
- Upset stomach
- Stomach pain
- Bloody, black, or tarry stools
- Vomiting a substance that is bloody or looks like coffee grounds
- Difficulty breathing
- Coma (loss of consciousness for a period of time)
What should I do if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose of Feldene®, take it as soon as possible. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and take your regular dose as scheduled. Do not take a double dose.
Hello Health Group does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.
Feldene® (piroxicam). http://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-10963/Feldene-oral/details. Accessed October 20, 2016.
Feldene® (piroxicam). https://www.drugs.com/cdi/Feldene.html. Accessed October 20, 2016.
Feldene® (piroxicam). http://www.doctissimo.fr/medicament-FELDENE-DISPERSIBLE.htm. Accessed October 20, 2016.
Feldene® (piroxicam). http://www.rxlist.com/Feldene-drug.htm. Accessed October 20, 2016.
Review Date: January 7, 2017 | Last Modified: September 13, 2019