What is Eurax® (crotamiton topical) used for?
Eurax® is commonly used for treating scabies and relieving itching.
How should I take Eurax® (crotamiton topical)?
To take Eurax®,
- Take a routine bath or shower. Thoroughly massage Eurax® cream or lotion into the skin from the chin to the toes including folds and creases.
- Put Eurax® cream or lotion under fingernails after trimming the fingernails short, because scabies is very likely to remain there. A toothbrush can be used to apply the Eurax® cream or lotion under the fingernails. Immediately after use, the toothbrush should be wrapped in paper and thrown away. Use of the same brush in the mouth could lead to poisoning.
- A second application is advisable 24 hours later.
- A 60gram tube or bottle is sufficient for two applications.
- Clothing and bed linen should be changed the next day. Contaminated clothing and bed linen may be dry-cleaned, or washed in the hot cycle of the washing machine.
- A cleansing bath should be taken 48 hours after the last application.
- Lotion: shake well before using.
How do I store Eurax® (crotamiton topical)?
Eurax® is best stored at room temperature away from direct light and moisture. To prevent drug damage, you should not store Eurax® in the bathroom or the freezer. There may be different brands of Eurax® that may have different storage needs. It is important to always check the product package for instructions on storage, or ask your pharmacist. For safety, you should keep all medicines away from children and pets.
You should not flush Eurax® down the toilet or pour them into a drain unless instructed to do so. It is important to properly discard this product when it is expired or no longer needed. Consult your pharmacist for more details about how to safely discard your product.
Precautions & warnings
What should I know before using Eurax® (crotamiton topical)?
Do not use crotamiton cream if:
- You are allergic to any ingredient in crotamiton cream.
- You develop severe irritation after applying crotamiton cream.
- You experience irritation when applying topical medicines.
Also, before using Eurax®, you should know that:
- Do not use crotamiton cream on inflamed, raw, or weeping skin.
- Itching may continue for up to several weeks due to sensitivity to mites. This does not indicate treatment failure. Contact your doctor before using crotamiton cream again.
- Crotamiton cream may be harmful if swallowed. If you or someone you know may have taken crotamiton cream by mouth, contact your local poison control center or emergency room immediately.
- Avoid getting crotamiton cream in your eyes, nose, or mouth. If you get crotamiton cream in your eyes, rinse immediately with cool water.
- Use crotamiton cream with extreme caution in children. Safety and effectiveness have not been confirmed.
- If severe irritation or sensitization develops, treatment with this product should be discontinued and appropriate therapy instituted.
Is it safe during pregnancy or breastfeeding?
There isn’t enough information about the safety of using Eurax® during pregnancy and breastfeeding. Please always consult with your doctor to weigh the potential benefits and risks before taking Eurax®.
What side effects can occur from Eurax® (crotamiton topical)?
Common side effect is:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these severe side effects occur:
- Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue)
- Severe irritation
- Burning or irritation of the mouth or throat
- Abdominal pain
Not everyone experiences these side effects. There may be some side effects not listed above. If you have any concerns about a side-effect, please consult your doctor or pharmacist.
What drugs may interact with Eurax® (crotamiton topical)?
Eurax® may interact with other drugs that you are currently taking, which can change how your drug works or increase your risk for serious side effects. To avoid any potential drug interactions, you should keep a list of all the drugs you are using (including prescription drugs, nonprescription drugs, and herbal products) and share it with your doctor and pharmacist. For your safety, do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any drugs without your doctor’s approval.
Does food or alcohol interact with Eurax® (crotamiton topical)?
Eurax® may interact with food or alcohol by altering the way the drug works or increase the risk for serious side effects. Please discuss with your doctor or pharmacist any potential food or alcohol interactions before using this drug.
What health conditions may interact with Eurax® (crotamiton topical)?
Eurax® may interact with your health condition. This interaction may worsen your health condition or alter the way the drug works. It is important to always let your doctor and pharmacist know all the health conditions you currently have.
The information provided is not a substitute for any medical advice. You should ALWAYS consult with your doctor or pharmacist before using Eurax® (crotamiton topical).
What is the dose of Eurax® (crotamiton topical) for an adult?
Apply topically to entire body starting at the chin and working downwards. Be certain to apply to all folds and creases. Repeat application 24 hours after initial application. Change clothing and bed linen the following morning. Take a cleansing bath 48 hours after final application.
Apply topically to affected area(s) massaging gently until completely absorbed. Repeat application as necessary.
What is the dose of Eurax® (crotamiton topical) for a child?
The dosage has not been established in pediatric patients (less than 18 years of age). It may be unsafe for your child. It is always important to fully understand the safety of the drug before using. Please consult with your doctor or pharmacist for more information. Safety and effectiveness have not been established in pediatric patients
How is Eurax® (crotamiton topical) available?
Eurax® is available in the following dosage forms and strengths:
- Cream 10g
- Cream 60 g Tube
- Cream 60 g Carton
- Lotion 60g
What should I do in case of an emergency or overdose?
In case of an emergency or an overdose, call your local emergency services or go to your nearest emergency room.
What should I do if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose of Eurax®, take it as soon as possible. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and take your regular dose as scheduled. Do not take a double dose.
Hello Health Group does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.
Review Date: January 7, 2017 | Last Modified: January 7, 2017
Eurax® (crotamiton topical). https://www.drugs.com/cdi/crotamiton-cream.html. Accessed November 11, 2016.
Eurax® (crotamiton topical). https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/drugInfo.cfm?setid=56465446-7f78-4ad1-acb3-08a4d60e5715. Accessed November 11, 2016.