What is Cerebrolysin® (FPE 1070/ FPF 1070) used for?
Cerebrolysin® is commonly used for the treatment of ischemic, hemorrhagic stroke, traumatic brain injuries, different forms of dementia (vascular dementia, Alzheimer’s disease) and cognitive disorders and to prevent cognitive decline after brain injuries.
Patients with either acute or degenerative neurological diseases benefit from the neuroprotective and neuro-regenerative properties of Cerebrolysin®.
How should I take Cerebrolysin® (FPE 1070/ FPF 1070)?
The administration is through an Intravenous infusion or via an intramuscular injection.
How do I store Cerebrolysin® (FPE 1070/ FPF 1070) ?
Cerebrolysin® is best stored at room temperature away from direct light and moisture. To prevent drug damage, you should not store Cerebrolysin® in the bathroom or the freezer. There may be different brands of Cerebrolysin® that may have different storage needs. It is important to always check the product package for instructions on storage, or ask your pharmacist. For safety, you should keep all medicines away from children and pets.
You should not flush Cerebrolysin® down the toilet or pour them into a drain unless instructed to do so. It is important to properly discard this product when it is expired or no longer needed. Consult your pharmacist for more details about how to safely discard your product.
Precautions & warnings
What should I know before using Cerebrolysin® (FPE 1070/ FPF 1070)?
Consult with your doctor or pharmacist, if:
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding. This is because, while you are expecting or feeding a baby, you should only take medicines on the recommendation of a doctor.
- You are taking any other medicines. This includes any medicines you are taking which are available to buy without a prescription, such as herbal and complementary medicines.
- You have allergy with Cerebrolysin® or other medications.
Is it safe during pregnancy or breastfeeding?
Cerebrolysin® may be used in the first trimester of pregnancy and lactation. It is used if the benefits to the mother outweigh the potential risk to the fetus/newborn.
The results of experimental studies give no reason to believe that Cerebrolysin® has any teratogenic or has a toxic effect on the fetus. However, similar clinical studies have not been conducted.
What side effects can occur from Cerebrolysin® (FPE 1070/ FPF 1070)?
Cerebrolysin® may cause these side effects, including:
- Hyperventilation, hypertension, hypotension, tiredness, tremor, depression, apathy, dizziness and symptoms of influenza (e.g, cold, cough, respiratory tract infections).
- Gastrointestinal disturbances; for example, loss of appetite, dyspepsia, diarrhea, constipation, vomiting, and nausea.
- Feelings of heat or sweating, dizziness, and in isolated instances, palpitations or arrhythmias may result.
Not everyone experiences these side effects. There may be some side effects not listed above. If you have any concerns about a side effect, please consult your doctor or pharmacist.
What drugs may interact with Cerebrolysin® (FPE 1070/ FPF 1070)?
Cerebrolysin® may interact with other drugs that you are currently taking, which can change how your drug works or increase your risk for serious side effects. To avoid any potential drug interactions, you should keep a list of all the drugs you are using (including prescription drugs, nonprescription drugs, and herbal products) and share it with your doctor and pharmacist. For your safety, do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any drugs without your doctor’s approval.
- Cerebrolysin® with antidepressants or MAO inhibitors may enhance their mutual action.
Does food or alcohol interact with Cerebrolysin® (FPE 1070/ FPF 1070)?
Cerebrolysin® may interact with food or alcohol by altering the way the drug works or increase the risk for serious side effects. Please discuss with your doctor or pharmacist any potential food or alcohol interactions before using this drug.
What health conditions may interact with Cerebrolysin® (FPE 1070/ FPF 1070)?
Cerebrolysin® may interact with your health condition. This interaction may worsen your health condition or alter the way the drug works. It is important to always let your doctor and pharmacist know all the health conditions you currently have.
- Acute renal failure;
- Status epilepticus;
- Hypersensitivity to the drug.
The information provided is not a substitute for any medical advice. You should ALWAYS consult with your doctor or pharmacist before using this medication.
What is the dose of Cerebrolysin® (FPE 1070/ FPF 1070) for an adult?
The recommended course of treatment is daily injection for 10–20 days, through an intravenous infusion or via an intramuscular injection:
- Acute conditions (ischemic stroke, traumatic brain injury, brain surgery complications): 10 ml to 50 ml.
- In the residual period of stroke and traumatic brain and spinal cord: 5 ml to 50 ml.
- Psycho-organic syndrome and depression: 5 ml to 30 ml.
- Alzheimer’s disease, vascular dementia, and Alzheimer-combined vascular origin: 5 ml to 30 ml.
What is the dose of Cerebrolysin® (FPE 1070/ FPF 1070) for a child?
In neuropediatric practice 0.1–0.2 ml/kg body weight.
How is Cerebrolysin® (FPE 1070/ FPF 1070) available?
Cerebrolysin® is available in the following dosage forms and strengths:
- Cerebrolysin® ampoules 1/2/5/10/20 ml.
What should I do in case of an emergency or overdose?
In case of an emergency or an overdose, call your local emergency services (115) or go to your nearest emergency room.
What should I do if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose of Cerebrolysin®, take it as soon as possible. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and take your regular dose as scheduled. Do not take a double dose.
Hello Health Group does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.
Cerebrolysin® (FPE 1070/ FPF 1070). http://www.mims.com/philippines/drug/info/Cerebrolysin?type=full. Accessed September 25, 2016.
Cerebrolysin® (FPE 1070/ FPF 1070). http://www.psypharm.com/Cerebrolysin. Accessed September 25, 2016.
Review Date: January 4, 2017 | Last Modified: January 4, 2017