What is Centrum Kids® used for?
Centrum Kids® is a multivitamin and iron product used to treat or prevent vitamin deficiency due to poor diet, certain illnesses, or during pregnancy.
Vitamins and iron are important building blocks of the body and help keep you in good health.
How should I take Centrum Kids®?
Chew this medication thoroughly and swallow, usually once daily or as directed. Follow all directions on the product package, or take as directed by your doctor. Do not take more than the recommended dosage. If you are uncertain about any of the information, consult your doctor or pharmacist.
This medication is best taken on an empty stomach 1 hour before or 2 hours after meals. If stomach upset occurs, you may take this medication with food. Avoid taking antacids, dairy products, tea, or coffee within 2 hours before or after this medication because they will decrease its effectiveness.
Take this medication regularly in order to get the most benefit from it. To help you remember, take it at the same time each day.
How do I store Centrum Kids®?
Centrum Kids® is best stored at room temperature away from direct light and moisture. To prevent drug damage, you should not store Centrum Kids® in the bathroom or the freezer. There may be different brands of Centrum Kids® that may have different storage needs. It is important to always check the product package for instructions on storage, or ask your pharmacist. For safety, you should keep all medicines away from children and pets.
You should not flush Centrum Kids® down the toilet or pour them into a drain unless instructed to do so. It is important to properly discard this product when it is expired or no longer needed. Consult your pharmacist for more details about how to safely discard your product.
Precautions & warnings
What should I know before using Centrum Kids®?
Before using this drug, tell your doctor if:
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding. This is because, while you are expecting or feeding a baby, you should only take medicines on the recommendation of a doctor.
- You are taking any other medicines. This includes any medicines you are taking which are available to buy without a prescription, such as herbal and complementary medicines.
- You have allergy with any of active or inactive ingredients of Centrum Kids® or other medications.
- You have any other illnesses, disorders, or medical conditions.
- You have iron overload disorder (e.g., hemochromatosis, hemosiderosis).
- You have vitamin B12 deficiency (pernicious anemia) before taking it. Folic acid may affect certain laboratory tests for vitamin B12 deficiency without treating this anemia. Untreated vitamin B12 deficiency may result in serious nerve problems (e.g., peripheral neuropathy).
- You have phenylketonuria (PKU) or any other condition that requires you to restrict your intake of aspartame (or phenylalanine), consult your doctor or pharmacist about using this drug safely.
Is it safe during pregnancy or breastfeeding?
There isn’t enough information about the safety of using Centrum Kids® during pregnancy and breastfeeding. Please always consult with your doctor to weigh the potential benefits and risks before taking Centrum Kids®.
What side effects can occur from Centrum Kids®?
Constipation, diarrhea or upset stomach may occur. These effects are usually temporary and may disappear as your body adjusts to this medication. If any of these effects persist or worsen, contact your doctor or pharmacist promptly.
Iron may cause your stools to turn black, an effect that is not harmful.
A very serious allergic reaction to this drug is rare. However, seek immediate medical attention if you notice any of the following symptoms of a serious allergic reaction: rash, itching/swelling (especially of the face/tongue/throat), severe dizziness, trouble breathing.
Not everyone experiences these side effects. There may be some side effects not listed above. If you have any concerns about a side-effect, please consult your doctor or pharmacist.
What drugs may interact with Centrum Kids®?
Centrum Kids® may interact with other drugs that you are currently taking, which can change how your drug works or increase your risk for serious side effects. To avoid any potential drug interactions, you should keep a list of all the drugs you are using (including prescription drugs, nonprescription drugs, and herbal products) and share it with your doctor and pharmacist. For your safety, do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any drugs without your doctor’s approval.
Products that may interact with this drug are:
- This product can decrease the absorption of other drugs such as bisphosphonates (for example, alendronate), levodopa, penicillamine, quinolone antibiotics (for example, ciprofloxacin, levofloxacin), thyroid medications (for example, levothyroxine), and tetracycline antibiotics (for example, doxycycline, minocycline).
- If your brand of multivitamin also contains folic acid, be sure to tell your doctor or pharmacist if you take certain anti-seizure drugs (e.g., hydantoins such as phenytoin).
Does food or alcohol interact with Centrum Kids®?
Centrum Kids® may interact with food or alcohol by altering the way the drug works or increase the risk for serious side effects. Please discuss with your doctor or pharmacist any potential food or alcohol interactions before using this drug.
What health conditions may interact with Centrum Kids®?
Centrum Kids® may interact with your health condition. This interaction may worsen your health condition or alter the way the drug works. It is important to always let your doctor and pharmacist know all the health conditions you currently have.
Health conditions that may interact with this drug are:
- Use/abuse of alcohol
- Liver problems
- Stomach/intestinal problems (e.g., ulcer, colitis)
The information provided is not a substitute for any medical advice. You should ALWAYS consult with your doctor or pharmacist before using Centrum Kids®.
What is the dose of Centrum Kids® for an adult?
Ask your doctor for more information.
What is the dose of Centrum Kids® for a child?
Centrum Kids should be taken on a daily basis for best results.
- Children 2 and 3 years of age: chew approximately ½ tablet daily with food.
- Children from 4 years of age, chew one (1) tablet daily with food.
- Children less than 2 years of age: the use of Centrum Kids is not recommended.
How is Centrum Kids® available?
Centrum Kids® is available in the following dosage forms and strengths:
- Chewable tablets, Containing multivitamins/minerals
What should I do in case of an emergency or overdose?
In case of an emergency or an overdose, call your local emergency services or go to your nearest emergency room.
What should I do if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose of Centrum Kids®, take it as soon as possible. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and take your regular dose as scheduled. Do not take a double dose.
Hello Health Group does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.
Review Date: October 6, 2017 | Last Modified: October 6, 2017
Centrum Kids®. https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-147112/centrum-kids-oral/details#interactions. Accessed October 6, 2017
Centrum Kids®. https://www.drugs.com/drp/centrum-kids-complete-children-s-chewables.html. Accessed October 6, 2017