What is Betoptic-S® (betaxolol) used for?
Betoptic-S® is used alone or with other medications to treat these medical conditions:
- High pressure inside the eye (ocular hypertension)
- Eye diseases due to glaucoma
Betoptic-S® may be prescribed for other uses; ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
How should I take Betoptic-S® (betaxolol)?
To apply eye drops:
- Wash your hands first, do not touch the dropper tip or let it touch your eye or any other surface.
- Tilt your head back, look upward, and pull down the lower eyelid to make a pouch. Hold the dropper directly over your eye and place one drop into the pouch.
- Look downward and gently close your eyes for 1 to 2 minutes. Place one finger at the corner of your eye (near the nose) and apply gentle pressure. Try not to blink and do not rub your eye. Repeat these steps for your other eye if so directed or if your dose is for more than 1 drop.
- Do not rinse the dropper. Replace the dropper cap after each use.
- Use this medication regularly in order to get the most benefit from it. To help you remember, use it at the same time(s) each day. It is important to continue using this medication even if you feel well.
- If you are wearing contact lenses, remove them before using eye drops. Wait at least 15 minutes before replacing your contact lenses.
How do I store Betoptic-S® (betaxolol)?
Betoptic-S® is best stored at room temperature away from direct light and moisture. To prevent drug damage, you should not store Betoptic-S® in the bathroom or the freezer. There may be different brands of Betoptic-S® that may have different storage needs. It is important to always check the product package for instructions on storage, or ask your pharmacist. For safety, you should keep all medicines away from children and pets.
You should not flush Betoptic-S® down the toilet or pour them into a drain unless instructed to do so. It is important to properly discard this product when it is expired or no longer needed. Consult your pharmacist for more details about how to safely discard your product.
Precautions & warnings
What should I know before using Betoptic-S® (betaxolol)?
Consult with your doctor or pharmacist, if:
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding. This is because, while you are expecting or feeding a baby, you should only take medicines on the recommendation of a doctor.
- You are taking any other medicines. This includes any medicines you are taking which are available to buy without a prescription, such as herbal and complementary medicines.
- You have allergy with any of active or inactive ingredients of Betoptic-S® or other medications.
- You have any other illnesses, disorders, or medical conditions.
Is it safe during pregnancy or breastfeeding?
There are no adequate studies in women for determining risk when using this medication during pregnancy or while breastfeeding. Please always consult with your doctor to weigh the potential benefits and risks before taking this medication. This medication is pregnancy risk category C, according to the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
FDA pregnancy risk category reference below:
- A=No risk
- B=No risk in some studies
- C=There may be some risk
- D=Positive evidence of risk
What side effects can occur from Betoptic-S® (betaxolol)?
Betoptic-S® may cause following side effects, such as:
- Discomfort or pain in the eye(s)
- A loss of feeling to the surface of the eye(s)
- Redness, inflammation, irritation and/or itching in the eye(s), eyelids or the surrounding lining of the eyelids
- Inflammation of the cornea
- Blurred vision and/or problems seeing clearly
- A feeling that something is in the eye(s)
- Eyelid spasms
- An increase in tearing or a discharge from the eye(s)
- A dry eye(s)
- Crusty eyelash(es) or eyelids
- Discomfort in the eye(s) due to a greater sensitivity to light
- Weakness or easily fatigued eyes
Not everyone experiences these side effects. There may be some side effects not listed above. If you have any concerns about a side-effect, please consult your doctor or pharmacist.
What drugs may interact with Betoptic-S® (betaxolol)?
Betoptic-S® may interact with other drugs that you are currently taking, which can change how your drug works or increase your risk for serious side effects. To avoid any potential drug interactions, you should keep a list of all the drugs you are using (including prescription drugs, nonprescription drugs, and herbal products) and share it with your doctor and pharmacist. For your safety, do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any drugs without your doctor’s approval.
Some products that may interact with this drug, especially of:
- Certain psychiatric drugs (e.g., venlafaxine, tricyclic antidepressants such as amitriptyline)
- Drugs for high blood pressure (e.g., clonidine, reserpine, oral beta blockers such as propranolol, calcium channel blockers such as diltiazem)
Does food or alcohol interact with Betoptic-S® (betaxolol)?
Betoptic-S® may interact with food or alcohol by altering the way the drug works or increase the risk for serious side effects. Please discuss with your doctor or pharmacist any potential food or alcohol interactions before using this drug.
What health conditions may interact with Betoptic-S® (betaxolol)?
Betoptic-S® may interact with your health condition. This interaction may worsen your health condition or alter the way the drug works. It is important to always let your doctor and pharmacist know all the health conditions you currently have. Especially if you have following health conditions, such as:
- Sinus bradycardia
- Cardiogenic shock
- Uncompensated cardiac failure
- History of obstructive airways disease
- Raynaud’s disease
- Cardiovascular disease
- Muscle weakness
- Corneal diseases
- Sjogren syndrome
- General anesthesia
The information provided is not a substitute for any medical advice. You should ALWAYS consult with your doctor or pharmacist before using this medication.
What is the dose of Betoptic-S® (betaxolol) for an adult?
Solution: 1-2 drops in affected eye q12hr.
What is the dose of Betoptic-S® (betaxolol) for a child?
The dosage has not been established in pediatric patients. It may be unsafe for your child. It is always important to fully understand the safety of the drug before using. Please consult with your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
How is Betoptic-S® (betaxolol) available?
Betoptic-S® is available in the following dosage forms and strengths:
- Betoptic-S® Eye Drops 0.25%; 5 mL
What should I do in case of an emergency or overdose?
In case of an emergency or an overdose, call your local emergency services or go to your nearest emergency room.
What should I do if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose of medication, take it as soon as possible. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and take your regular dose as scheduled. Do not take a double dose.
Hello Health Group does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.
Betoptic S®. http://reference.medscape.com/drug/Betoptic-betaxolol-ophthalmic-343593#4. Accessed January 05, 2017.
Betoptic S®. https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/~/media/bhc/files/medicine%20guides%20library/01/cmi1880.pdf. Accessed January 05, 2017.
Review Date: June 1, 2017 | Last Modified: June 1, 2017