What is Amebismo® (Bismuth Subsalicylate) used for?
Amebismo® is commonly used for the treatment of indigestion, nausea, abdominal cramps, upset stomach, heartburn, and traveler’s diarrhea.
How should I take Amebismo® (Bismuth Subsalicylate)?
Use Amebismo® as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
Amebismo® may be taken with or without food.
Do not take tetracyclines (e.g., doxycycline) within 2 hours before or after taking Amebismo®.
Drinking extra fluids while you are taking Amebismo® is recommended. Check with your doctor for instructions.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Amebismo®.
How do I store Amebismo® (Bismuth Subsalicylate)?
Amebismo® is best stored at room temperature away from direct light and moisture. To prevent drug damage, you should not store Amebismo® in the bathroom or the freezer. There may be different brands of Amebismo® that may have different storage needs. It is important to always check the product package for instructions on storage, or ask your pharmacist. For safety, you should keep all medicines away from children and pets.
You should not flush Amebismo® down the toilet or pour them into a drain unless instructed to do so. It is important to properly discard this product when it is expired or no longer needed. Consult your pharmacist for more details about how to safely discard your product.
Precautions & warnings
What should I know before using Amebismo® (Bismuth Subsalicylate)?
Before using this drug, you may notice that:
- If the packaging blister is torn or open, do not use that particular tablet.
- Do not exceed the recommended dose or take Amebismo® for longer than 48 hours without checking with your doctor. If your symptoms do not improve within 48 hours or if they become worse or you develop a fever, check with your doctor.
- Amebismo® may color the tongue or stool gray or black. This is a temporary and harmless effect.
- Do not give Amebismo® to a child or teenager who has chickenpox, the flu, or another viral infection. Use of Amebismo® for treating the symptoms of a viral infection may cause a serious illness called Reye syndrome.
- Use Amebismo® with extreme caution in children because they may be more sensitive to its effects.
Also, tell your doctor if you have:
- Allergic to any ingredient in Amebismo®
- A severe allergic reaction (e.g., severe rash, hives, difficulty breathing, dizziness) to aspirin or a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) (e.g., ibuprofen, naproxen, celecoxib)
- Bleeding problems (e.g., hemophilia)
- Active bleeding ulcer
- Black or bloody stools
- Von Willebrand disease
- Another salicylate medicine (e.g., aspirin)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Is it safe during pregnancy or breastfeeding?
If you become pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Amebismo® during pregnancy.
Amebismo® is excreted in breast milk. Do not breastfeed while taking Amebismo®.
What side effects can occur from Amebismo® (Bismuth Subsalicylate)?
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most common side effects persist or become bothersome:
- Temporary and harmless darkening of the tongue or stool
Seek medical attention right away if any of these severe side effects occur:
- Difficulty breathing
- Tightness in the chest
- Swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue
- Hearing loss
- Ringing in the ears
- Severe constipation
Not everyone experiences these side effects. There may be some side effects not listed above. If you have any concerns about a side-effect, please consult your doctor or pharmacist.
What drugs may interact with Amebismo® (Bismuth Subsalicylate)?
Amebismo® may interact with other drugs that you are currently taking, which can change how your drug works or increase your risk for serious side effects. To avoid any potential drug interactions, you should keep a list of all the drugs you are using (including prescription drugs, nonprescription drugs, and herbal products) and share it with your doctor and pharmacist. For your safety, do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any drugs without your doctor’s approval.
Products may interact with this drug, including:
- Insulin, methotrexate, or valproic acid because actions and side effects may be increased by Amebismo®.
- Angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors (e.g., lisinopril) or sulfinpyrazone because their effectiveness may be decreased by Amebismo®.
- Anticoagulants (e.g., warfarin) because the risk of bleeding may be increased by Amebismo®.
- Salicylates (e.g., aspirin) because the risk of side effects or toxic effects may be increased.
Does food or alcohol interact with Amebismo® (Bismuth Subsalicylate)?
Amebismo® may interact with food or alcohol by altering the way the drug works or increase the risk for serious side effects. Please discuss with your doctor or pharmacist any potential food or alcohol interactions before using this drug.
What health conditions may interact with Amebismo® (Bismuth Subsalicylate)?
Amebismo® may interact with your health condition. This interaction may worsen your health condition or alter the way the drug works. It is important to always let your doctor and pharmacist know all the health conditions you currently have.
The information provided is not a substitute for any medical advice. You should ALWAYS consult with your doctor or pharmacist before using Amebismo® (Bismuth Subsalicylate).
What is the dose of Amebismo® (Bismuth Subsalicylate) for an adult?
Adults and children 12 years of age and older
The recommended dose is 2 tablets (262 mg each) orally or 30 ml suspension every 30 to 60 min as needed (max, 8 doses/day).
Bismatrol maximum strength
Orally, the recommended dose is 30 ml every hour as needed (max, 120 ml/24 h).
What is the dose of Amebismo® (Bismuth Subsalicylate) for a child?
Children 9 to 12 years of age
The recommended dose is 1 tablet orally or 15 ml suspension every 30 to 60 min as needed (max, 8 doses/day).
Children 6 to 9 years of age
The recommended dose is 2/ 3 tablet or 10 ml suspension every 30 to 60 min as needed (max, 8 doses/day).
Children 3 to 6 years of age
The recommended dose is 1/ 3 tablet orally or 5 ml suspension every 30 to 60 min as needed (max, 8 doses/day).
Children younger than 3 years
Consult health care provider.
How is Amebismo® (Bismuth Subsalicylate) available
Amebismo® is available in the following dosage forms and strengths:
- Amebismo® Tablet 262mg
- Amebismo® Suspension 525mg/15ml
- Amebismo® 525 mg/15 ml x 1 Bottle 237 ml
What should I do in case of an emergency or overdose?
In case of an emergency or an overdose, call your local emergency services or go to your nearest emergency room.
What should I do if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose of Amebismo®, take it as soon as possible. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and take your regular dose as scheduled. Do not take a double dose.
Hello Health Group does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.
BESMAL USES. http://www.ndrugs.com/?s=besmal. Accessed November 27, 2016
Amebismo®. https://www.drugs.com/ppa/bismuth-subsalicylate.html. Accessed November 27, 2016
Amebismo®. https://www.drugs.com/cdi/bismuth-subsalicylate.html. Accessed November 27, 2016.
Review Date: March 11, 2017 | Last Modified: March 11, 2017