What is simethicone used for?
Simethicone is commonly used for relieving symptoms of extra gas such as belching, bloating, and feelings of pressure or discomfort in the stomach/gut. Simethicone helps break up gas bubbles in the gut.
Simethicone may be prescribed for other uses. Ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
How should I take simethicone?
To use simethicone capsule/tablet properly:
Take this product by mouth, usually after meals and at bedtime or as directed by your doctor. Swallow the capsules whole. Do not crush or chew the capsules.
To use simethicone oral suspension drops:
Measure liquid medicine with a special dose – measuring spoon or medicine cup. If you do not have a dose – measuring device, ask your pharmacist for one. Simethicone liquid drops can be mixed with water, baby formula, or other liquids to make swallowing easier for an infant or child.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use medication.
How do I store simethicone?
Simethicone is best stored at room temperature away from direct light and moisture. To prevent drug damage, you should not store simethicone in the bathroom or the freezer. There may be different brands of simethicone that may have different storage needs. It is important to always check the product package for instructions on storage, or ask your pharmacist. For safety, you should keep all medicines away from children and pets.
You should not flush simethicone down the toilet or pour them into a drain unless instructed to do so. It is important to properly discard this product when it is expired or no longer needed. Consult your pharmacist for more details about how to safely discard your product.
Precautions & warnings
What should I know before using simethicone?
Consult with your doctor or pharmacist, if:
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding. This is because, while you are expecting or feeding a baby, you should only take medicines on the recommendation of a doctor.
- You are taking any other medicines. This includes any medicines you are taking which are available to buy without a prescription, such as herbal and complementary medicines.
- You have allergy with any of active or inactive ingredients of simethicone or other simethicone.
- You have any other illnesses, disorders, or medical conditions.
Is it safe during pregnancy or breastfeeding?
There are no adequate studies in women for determining risk when using this medication during pregnancy or while breastfeeding. Please always consult with your doctor to weigh the potential benefits and risks before taking this medication. This medication is pregnancy risk category C, according to the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
FDA pregnancy risk category reference below:
- A=No risk;
- B=No risk in some studies;
- C=There may be some risk;
- D=Positive evidence of risk;
Not absorbed systemically, not expected to be excreted in milk.
Always consult your health care provider prior to using simethicone if you are pregnant, breastfeeding.
What side effects can occur from simethicone?
Simethicone may cause these side effects, such as:
- Allergic reaction: rash, itching, swelling (especially of the face/tongue/throat);
- Severe dizziness;
- Trouble breathing.
Not everyone experiences these side effects. There may be some side effects not listed above. If you have any concerns about a side effect, please consult your doctor or pharmacist.
What drugs may interact with simethicone?
Simethicone may interact with other drugs that you are currently taking, which can change how your drug works or increase your risk for serious side effects. To avoid any potential drug interactions, you should keep a list of all the drugs you are using (including prescription drugs, nonprescription drugs, and herbal products) and share it with your doctor and pharmacist. For your safety, do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any drugs without your doctor’s approval.
- Simethicone can decrease the absorption of thyroid medications such as levothyroxine. If you take thyroid medication, take it at least 4 hours before or after products that contain simethicone.
Does food or alcohol interact with simethicone?
Simethicone may interact with food or alcohol by altering the way the drug works or increase the risk for serious side effects. Please discuss with your doctor or pharmacist any potential food or alcohol interactions before using this drug.
What health conditions may interact with simethicone?
Simethicone may interact with your health condition. This interaction may worsen your health condition or alter the way the drug works. It is important to always let your doctor and pharmacist know all the health conditions you currently have.
- The liquid form may contain phenylalanine. Talk to your doctor before using this form of simethicone if you have phenylketonuria (PKU).
The information provided is not a substitute for any medical advice. You should ALWAYS consult with your doctor or pharmacist before using this medication.
What is the dose of simethicone for an adult?
Gas retention in gastrointestinal tract
- 40-360 mg orally every 6 hours after meals and at bedtime.
- Maximum dose: 500 mg/day.
What is the dose of simethicone for a child?
Gas retention in gastrointestinal tract
- <2 years: 20 mg (0.3 ml) orally every 6 hours, after meals and at bedtime. Maximum dose: 240 mg/day.
- 2-12 years: 40 mg (0.6 ml) orally every 6 hours, after meals and at bedtime. Maximum dose: 480 mg/day.
- >12 years: 40-360 mg orally every 6 hours, after meals and at bedtime. Maximum dose 500 mg/day.
How is Simethicone available?
Simethicone is available in the following dosage forms and strengths:
- Tablet 80mg simethicone;
- Capsule180mg simethicone;
- Chewable tablet 125mg simethicone;
- Chewable tablet 80mg simethicone;
- Capsule125mg simethicone;
- Suspension drops 40mg/0.6 ml simethicone (adults/infants gas relief);
- Strip 62.5mg simethicone.
What should I do in case of an emergency or overdose?
In case of an emergency or an overdose, call your local emergency services (115) or go to your nearest emergency room.
It is also important to carry a written list of all of the prescription and nonprescription (over-the-counter) medicines you are taking with you in case of emergencies.
What should I do if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose of simethicone, take it as soon as possible. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and take your regular dose as scheduled. Do not take a double dose.
Hello Health Group does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.
Simethicone. http://reference.medscape.com/drug/mylicon-phazyme-simethicone-342005#90. Accessed October 08, 2016.
Simethicone. http://www.medicinenet.com/simethicone_tabletscapsules-oral/article.htm. Accessed October 08, 2016.
Review Date: November 21, 2016 | Last Modified: January 4, 2017